October 31, 2011

tricks, treats, news, and surprises

So, a few things today:

First off, Happy Halloween! When I was a kid, this was my favorite holiday of the year, and it still is. Unfortunately for this night of candy, costumes, and fun, I’ve been too distracted by the approaching release date for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, only eleven days away! If I would have had the focus or time this year, I probably would have made a costume. Even though we don’t go anywhere for Halloween, I like dressing up for handing out candy. I wanted to make a Victorian dress for this year, but obviously that didn’t work out. Time I would have spent sewing the costume was instead spent installing laminate floors throughout our house, which is nearly complete. We still have to put floors in the closets and get transitions for the bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen, but for all intents and purposes, it’s done. Last year, I went as a pirate lass (which just so happens to be my fallback costume when I fail to make a new one). Guess I’ll be shouting YARRRRR when I hand out candy tonight.

Secondly, I’ve decided on a release date for my book (more on that at the end of this post). As such, exactly two weeks from now, I will be holding a giveaway here and on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ to win an eARC of The Clockwork Giant. There will be a minimum of four winners. If a lot of people enter, then I will give away more copies. I’m hoping that by giving away several copies of my book, by release date, there will be a good buzz around the book, and hopefully some reviews posted. I also plan to ask several book bloggers to review the eARC (so, if you are interested in reading and reviewing my book in the next few weeks, please let me know at brookenomicon@gmail.com). In addition to all that, I plan to launch my official author website by the end of the week. That’s my marketing plan so far. Around release date, I plan on starting a Google Ads campaign to supplement my efforts.

Thirdly, I have an editor! It’s good to know people. A friend of mine from college sent me a message on Facebook, offering to edit my manuscript. She’s wanting to start a freelance editing career by the time she graduates with her MBA in English. The stipulation of her offer? I must tell everyone about her and her services, which I do not mind doing at all, because she is just that awesome. Once she gets the business going, I’m sure she’ll have some contact details and price listings, which I will then share with you. For now, though, she is my own personal editing slave (mwahaha) and you can’t have her.

Fourthly and finally, I have a little surprise for you all. I made a book trailer! Let me know what you think!




2 comments:

  1. Great news all around. Sounds like you've got a great game plan for marketing, which can tend to be the downfall for some trying to self-publish.
    I also enjoyed the book trailer.

    Just as a note, I don't know if you'd be interested, but another blogger, Nadja Notariani, is looking to see if there are authers intersted in partcipating in something she's working on called the 12 Days of Christmas. With your release date being during December, this could be a possible avenue for marketing as well. In case you are interested, here is her blog URL: http://nadjanotariani.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, that's awesome! Love the trailer! :D

    ReplyDelete