Just a quick update about a few things.
I’m getting close to the end of The Wizard’s Heart. As of writing this, I have a total of 78,310 words. I am roughly two or three chapters away from the climax chapter(s), which will be followed by a resolution chapter. So that’s anywhere from four to six chapters to go, depending on how the story unfolds. Using my average chapter length, that’s about 14-21,000 words to go, bringing the total word count of the first draft anywhere between 92-99,000 words. That’s about what I expected. Now, depending on how many words it takes, that will require at least another week and a bit, or two weeks. As long as the words keep coming, this first draft will be done no later than October 19th (I hope) for a grand total of (minus a week-long vacation in September and a week-long break in August) three months of actual working time. I’m happy with those numbers. Very happy indeed.
However, before I can get back into Petra’s head, I have to finish some things. I have a deadline schedule that I may or may not be able to stick to, but I will do my best:
- October 20th: finish the first draft of The Wizard’s Heart
- October 26th: plot the Chroniker City novella (still no title)
- November 30th: finish first draft of Chroniker City novella (possible I’ll play NaNoWriMo with this even though it’ll be shorter than 50,000 words)
- December 7th: create cover, blurb, title etc. for Chroniker City novella
- December 15th: finish editing Chroniker City novella
- December 18th: format and publish Chroniker City novella
- January 19th: finish first edits on The Wizard’s Heart and send to beta readers
- February 2nd: plot The Guild Conspiracy
That’s as far as I can schedule with minimal error. I firmly believe that I can finish the novella rather quickly since it is going to be 30-40,000 words when it’s done. I may have to work some nights and weekends to get everything done with the novella before Christmas, but I’m okay with that. I have a busy few months ahead of me—that’s for sure. And on that note, if you’re interested in beta-reading the novella once it’s finished, email me. I have some people in mind, but I need all the help I can get. As you can see, I have a short deadline between finishing the first draft and final edits.
So, now, back to writing. Hopefully, I can finish The Wizard’s Heart sooner than October 20th, but we’ll just have to see, won’t we?
Hope you all have a good weekend!
[A note about next week: instead of blogging Monday, I’ll be guest-hosting on Tuesday as part of the blog tour for Angela Brown and Gwen Gardner’s release of their debut novels, Neverlove and Givin’ Up the Ghost, respectively. Both books release Monday October 8th]